Saturday, January 3, 2009

Before I come down on Jim Hendry, last minute Football Picks

I meant to break down the Sunday Football games, but as I am trying to battle a cold, I've had no will for it. Next week I'll talk about the Mark De Rosa trade to the Indians(our new favorite team?), the Aaron Miles signing(shit for defense), and the potential Milton Bradley signing(shit, I'd rather have Dunn). Also, if we don't get Peavy, this off-season has hurt the Cubs.
Anyway...
I'm so hyped for the playoffs today. I have to work during much of them, but they'll have to wait for cocktails in between plays and commercial drinks, cuz I don't play that. Except for my waiter and friend Phil, he does not like dawdling service.

I covered the two games today.
I like Arizona if they contain the running game. Good luck, I know.
Arizona 31, Atlanta 30

The Chargers defense is playing much better Under Ron "Chico" Rivera.
Peyton Manning has just won his third MVP, and the Colts are seemingly healthy.
L.T. and Gates are ailing a bit, but they will go. They might get hurt during the game though, so I expect a close one. I said Adam Vinatieri would win it with ten seconds left in regulation, and I'm sticking to that.
Prediction
Indy 27, San Diego 24

Sunday's games include Baltimore at Miami, and Philly at Minnesota

Baltimore/Miami should be a defensive nightmare for both teams. I like Joey Flacco, but I see him having a bad day which will leave it up to Ed Reed and company. Chad Pennington is the comeback player of the year for good reason, and if he does what he's done all year by minimizing mistakes, the Dolphins could get their first playoff win since I don't care when. Both teams will run the ball a ton, and I like the 3 headed monster of Baltimore. McClain has been a beast! I see a field goal win here as well. I've never had a care for any of these teams. Let this be an emotional pick.
Great story for Pennington. Kudos to Ricky Williams for playing the whole year trouble free. Ted Ginn, Bess, Martin, Brown coming back from a tough injury, Porter crazy, WILDCAT!!!!!????? Sporano out coaches Harbaugh.
Miami 20, Baltimore 17

Now to a match up very close to my heart. Eagles at Vikings. I grew up an Eagles fan. They played the Giants in the first football game I remember watching. Eagles lost and I took pity on them. I also dug those uniforms. I liked the Bears as a child, but Philly was #1. I became a real Bear fan after Philly lost the Superbowl to New England, and left Philly to die. I still like the Eagles, but my childhood love affair is gone forever, as the memories remain.
Onto the Vikings. I am soft for Adrian Peterson. I chose him in the 5th round of my fantasy draft last year, and tapped myself on the back. I love great running backs. When you grow up with Walter Payton, you love running backs. Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith(hated him though), Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Dorsett, Allen, Bo Jackson, the Icky shuffle. Love. Great. Backs. A.P. has much more to prove as far as longevity and production to be mentioned with those greats, but he could be on his way. Too bad he's in the central division of the NFC.
The defense is okay. Sometimes they show up with Jared Allen, and sometimes they don't. Bernard Berrian can make a play or two every now and then, but Tavaris Jackson might get crushed by an Eagle defense that mutilated the Cowboys last week. McNabb is hot, Westbrook is a freak. Jimmie Johnson is one of the best defensive coordinator's in the NFL. Philly all the way.
Philadelphia 34, Minnesota 13

Have a wonderful opening weekend of the NFL playoffs. Talk to you next week.

No comments: